St Patrick's Church, Lawrence, New Zealand

St Patrick's Church, Lawrence, New Zealand

Description: St Patrick'€™s Catholic Church on Colonsay Street overlooking the main street of Lawrence, was constructed in 1891. The discovery of gold at Gabriel's Gully in May 1861 led to the establishment of the thriving Lawrence Township. A hilltop site on the corner of Colonsay Street and Lancaster Streets was purchased in 1863 and in 1864 a corrugated iron church was erected on site; the first Catholic church in Otago. The nave of St Patrick'€™s Church stands on this site.

[display photography on the map]

Keywords: Catholic, Lawrence, New Zealand, Otago, St Patrick's Church, church, town, historic place

Exif: Exposure: 1/50, Aperture: 13.0, ISO: 100

Views: 6094 ×