Puysegur Point lighthouse, Preservation Inlet, Fiordland, New Zealand

Puysegur Point lighthouse, Preservation Inlet, Fiordland, New Zealand

Description: The Puysegur Point Lighthouse was completed in February 1879. The light was first lit in March that same year.
In 1942 the tower at Puysegur Point burnt to the ground. According to the official report, the fire was lit "by a demented person, a hermit of the area". The tower was completely destroyed. A fire was also lit in one of the keeper's houses, however, it was put out before much damage was done.
In January 1943, the lantern room from Godley Head was installed to replace the wooden one. A new light powered by diesel-generated electricity replaced the original oil-powered light.
(from www.maritimenz.govt.nz)

[display photography on the map]

Keywords: Preservation Inlet, Puysegur Point, Breaksea Girl, Fiordland, New Zealand, landscape, fjord, fiord, water, Southland, national park, cruise, World Heritage site, Te Wahipounamu, lighthouse, Murihiku

Exif: Exposure: 1/100, Aperture: 8.0, ISO: 100

Views: 9018 ×