Ivon Wilson Park, Te Anau, New Zealand

Ivon Wilson Park, Te Anau, New Zealand

Description: Ivon Wilson Park is a 13 hectare park surrounding Lake Henry and offering wonderful views of the Fiordland Mountains. There are also a few young kauri trees. In autumn exotic trees create nice colourful atmosphere.
Lake Henry has a stock of brook trout and has been developed as a children's fishery. A licence, available from any sports store or the Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre, is needed to fish the lake.
Ivon Vernon Wilson was dentist and regional promoter. He was elected to the executive of the Automobile Association (Southland) and served as president from 1945 to 1951, a period in which the organisation was closely involved with the development of the Te Anau – Milford Sound road. When this was officially opened in 1953 the association took over the upgrading of former works camps at Milford and Cascade Creek and established a new motor camp at Te Anau. In 1958 Wilson started developing a park on 32 acres of land adjacent to this camp. He collected many of the over 5,000 trees that were planted, often driving long distances to get what he wanted. The park was later named after him. (from www.teara.govt.nz and www.doc.govt.nz)

[display photography on the map]

Keywords: New Zealand, Southland, Te Anau, autumn, lake, landscape, kauri, tree, Ivon Wilson, park, Lake Henry, Murihiku

Exif: Exposure: 1/60, Aperture: 11.0, ISO: 100

Views: 6570 ×