Piritahi Marae, Waiheke Island, New Zealand

Piritahi Marae, Waiheke Island, New Zealand

Description: In 1840's there was a Ngati Paoa village on the site where the Marae now sits. From 1980's the land was develop as a community Marae.
Te Atairangi Kahu named the Marae and she offered the name 'Piritahi' with direct reference to the stream that passes through the site and in remembrance of the event that gave the stream its name, the peaceful joining of Nga Puhi and Ngati Paoa/Marutuahu on the island.
Source: www.piritahimarae.org.nz

[display photography on the map]

Keywords: New Zealand, Waiheke Island, Piritahi Marae, Te Huruhi Bay, Huruhi Bay, Ngati Paoa, Maori

Exif: Exposure: 1/80, Aperture: 14.0, ISO: 100

Views: 6738 ×